Southern Product Finishing - Powder Coating
located in Pearland, TX
Whether you require powder coating, abrasive blasting, passivation, welding/fabrication, etc., our processes are tailored for your needs. We are able to provide your products with a coating that is durable and adds value to your parts.
We specialize in offering innovative solutions that meet or exceed your expectations of quality and service
What is Powder Coat?
Chemically speaking, powder coating is very similar to other paints. Where liquid paint contains solvents to keep the paint 'wet' for ease of application, powder coat essentially contains only pigment and resin (the agent that adheres the paint to the substrate).
So if it is so similar to wet paint, why powder coat at all? By removing the solvent, you change how paint cures, and how it adheres to the part. Several advantages of powder coating over conventional liquid coatings are:
- Because there are no solvents that evaporate into harmful or flammable vapors, powder coatings emit zero or near zero volatile organic compounds (VOC).
- Powder coating can produce much thicker coatings than conventional liquid coatings without running or sagging.
- Powder coating overspray can be recycled and thus it is possible to achieve nearly 100% use of the coating.
- Powder coating production lines produce less hazardous waste than conventional liquid coatings.
- Powder coated items generally have fewer appearance differences between horizontally coated surfaces and vertically coated surfaces than liquid coated items.
- A wide range of specialty effects is easily accomplished which would be impossible to achieve with other coating processes.
Powder is generally applied electro-statically. The powder is positively charged using specialized high-voltage guns and sprayed over the negatively charged part. Like paper sticking to an old tube-television, the powder is physically attracted to the part. The over-spray powder can then be gathered and recycled.
Once the part is coated in powder, it is baked in an oven at the specific cure temperature and duration of the powder. The resin and pigment melt together to form a continuous coat over the entire part. This application makes for a superior coating!
Who we are
In 2000, Columns Inc. began powder coating their products with electrostatically applied polyester and epoxy paint, or powder coat. It wasn't long before Columns saw the value they could offer in serving Southern Texas with a "strictly-powder coating" service. Southern Product Finishing was born. Since 2008, SPF has sought to provide a powder coating and metal finishing service to the greater Houston Metroplex based on reliability, affordability, and quality.
Our relationships with the major powder coating suppliers including (Dupont, Akzo Nobel, Tiger Drylac, Sherwin Williams, Spraylat, IFS Coatings, Vitracoat America)to ensure that we can find the right application for your products within your budget.